Sunday, June 30, 2013

Holy Rollin': That's Just the Way She Rolls

I had an interesting conversation with my cousin on Facebook last week regarding the hoopla over the supreme court ruling on gay marriage. I've come to discover the woman is a bit of a religious nut. I can't really throw stones here since I grew up Assembly of God and was a bit of a bible thumper myself back in the day. I'm Agnostic now, mostly because whenever I asked important questions like, "But why is it wrong to be a homosexual?" the answer was usually an unsatisfactory, "Because the bible tells me so," type deal. This would lead to a rousing game of circular logic starting with me asking, "Yeah, but why?" with the previous answer being repeated over and over again.
My misspent holy-rolling, grain of doubt youth came flashing back to me after my cousin posted this as her status:
Wow unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isaiah 5:20
To those who believe the Supreme courts decision to over rule the majority vote of the people was a greAt day for our country, Woe unto you

I didn't want to antagonize the woman because she's family, for whatever that's worth, but I didn't agree with her and was hoping to find some common ground through rational discourse:

  • Me: Are you talking about the voting rights case or the gay marriage case?


  • CousinYes, I am .
  • MeNo, I mean which one.
  • CousinSorry, the gay marriage.

  • MeWhy are you against it? I'm not saying this in a snarky tone, honest. I'm genuinely curious.

  • Cousinread Romans chapter 1 to begin. Gay life style/marriage is totally contrary to God's word. Just read The Word.

  • MeI'm Agnostic. I don't believe the bible is the literal word of God, but a collection of stories humans came up with to explain natural phenomenon. I respect your right to believe otherwise however. I respect everyone's right to believe in their holy book of choice. I just don't think it should be made law. Look at all the trouble going on in the middle east with Sharia law.
  • Cousin: Well if you would read God's word you will see exactly where our constitution was bases on. Our Grandmother fully believed in God and believed God's word. In that word God promise that he would also save her family. See I also have that promise. You are our family besides, you can bow now or bow later but rest assured...you will bow. I love you and I am praying for you.

  • MeActually, most of the founding fathers were into deism rather than straight up Christianity. They were pretty explicit about keeping any one religion from being the go to belief system for the country too since it had caused England no end of grief (Catholics vs. Protestants, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria in the streets!). And although I loved my Grandmother and am happy she found comfort in her beliefs, I don't necessarily hold those same beliefs, though I do agree with the general flavor of some of the word (do unto others, turn the other cheek, motes in eyes and all that good stuff). As for praying for me, I do appreciate it. I just hope you're not praying for me to change because I'm happy with who I am and you'll be waiting a good long while.

  • CousinI'm not waiting on you my hope and all my hope is in The Lord. Karen not one time did I mention changing anything abt you. I love you!

  • CousinI did not mention Christianity nor did I mention any religion. That is totally NOT what I'm talking about.

  • Me: Wait, you're Jewish now? When did this happen?...Just kidding. I love you cuz.
 Yeah. Never debate a religious fanatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment