Skip to main content

Feature Author: Paul Flewitt


Author, Paul Flewitt
Thought I'd give author interviewing a try. If I get through this without causing emotional trauma or getting sued, I might make this a monthly thing. If you are an author, illustrator, or just do something extremely cool (like moonlighting as a ninja) and you're looking for a blog interview, please PM me through my Facebook page here and we'll work something out.

Paul Flewitt is a writer and author of the upcoming novel Poor Jeffrey and contributing author of the newly released horror anthology All That Remains, published by J Ellington Ashton Press, edited by Catt Dahman. The anthology is available through Amazon.com. Paul has graciously agreed to be my first victim...I mean, interviewee.

Karma Girl: Before we start, let me inform you of your rights: You have the right to remain silent, though this would be counterintuitive for our interviewing purposes. I suppose you have a right to a lawyer too, but I don't plan to libel you in any
way and even if I did, I have no money. Suing is not much of an option. You have the right to be as serious as you want as long as you realize I'm a bit of a silly pants when it comes to this kind of stuff. Do you understand each of these rights as they have been told to you?

Paul: Yeah... but can I consult the demon on my shoulder before replying to your questions?

KG: Sure. Why not? He's probably acquainted with mine anyway. So, first question: Can you tell my readers a little about yourself and your background? Where did you study? Did you focus in writing or something else? And did you annoy your teachers as much as I annoyed mine?

Paul: Well...my name is Paul Flewitt, I'm a horror writer from Sheffield, UK. I'm a family man and write when I can between the kids and other life stuff. I didn't do the college/uni thing. I went out to work and wrote in my spare time. I gave up on school when I was 14. A teacher told me it wasn't doing me any good so I left. Did I annoy my teachers? A report which always sticks with me was from a form tutor who said "Paul is an enigma around school"...I liked that.

KG: Enigma as in "He's a super genius plotting to take over the world," type thing or "odd and mildly disturbing" or both?

Paul: Probably/possibly a bit of both if I think back to the kind of kid I probably was.

All That Remains
KG: Cool. So, what have you written and where can we buy your work? Will ID or parental approval be required? That last question is a lot more serious than you think. I had no idea Smashwords had an adult filter until I published through them.

Paul: No ID required. Currently I have a short story in JEA's All That Remains anthology and that will be followed very soon by my first novella, Poor Jeffrey, which is coming soon to Amazon.

KG: Can you tell us what they're about?

Paul: My short story is called "Paradise Park" and centers around a girl called Casey... she goes on a normal, family holiday to a place advertised as some kind of heaven. But it harbours a dark secret. Poor Jeffrey is a coming of age zombie horror with a twist, in that the zombie isn't the bad guy. It answers the question "What can go wrong with magic?"
Poor Jeffrey

KG: Sounds interesting. I'm a fan of the zombie genre myself. Is horror your main thing or have you ever considered branching out into other genres? If so what kind?

Paul: I always consider myself a dark fantasy writer, horror is a genre that I enjoy a lot. Most of the writers I look up to are pretty dark, so I suppose it's no real surprise that my writing is pretty dark too. I do like to experiment, though. So soon you may see an erotic horror story with my name alongside that of Scarlett Metal, a good friend of mine and writer of erotica.

KG: Are you two planning a collaboration of some kind?

Paul: Yes we are...in our spare time.

KG: Well, I know I'll be looking out for that. What made you decide to sit down and put words to paper? Why did you become a writer and what themes if any do you like to relay to your readers?

Paul: I suppose I started writing because of my Dad. He used to write poetry when I was young and always encouraged reading. There were always books around the house. The first time I consciously remember writing was one night he was trying to compose a poem, I kept bugging him so he gave me a pen and some paper to write my own. So I did. Again and again. From poetry to story writing isn't a great leap, I guess. I decided to put my stories out this year because I wasn't working and was struggling to find a job. I had the time to write properly for the first time since school and so I did. People thought my stories were good and so here I am. Themes I like are pretty much anything that I might find creepy or interesting...that's the foundation. Other than that I don't go into a project with a preconceived idea as to a particular message. I just would like to be known as writing a nice tale.

KG: Interesting. Now on to the more serious questions. You're British so maybe you can help me out with this one: Hugh Laurie's accent. What's up with that? I heard his real accent for the first time in a TV interview and I was all freaked out.

Paul: Hugh Laurie is the most amazing actor, isn't he? I would advise you try and catch Jeeves and Wooster, based on PG Wodehouse. Its classic comedy.

KG: Oh, I will British guy. I will. Next serious question: Have you ever met Terry Pratchett and was he as awesome as I know he must be? Also what is your favorite spoon? If you've never read his Discworld series, disregard that last question.

Paul: You know, I haven't met Terry Pratchett, and I've never read his books either. It's strange because I always go into a bookstore with the intention of buying something of his, and walk out with something totally different. I've seen The Hogfather and Going Postal on TV and they were amazing! Note to self...seek out Mr. Pratchett.

KG: I'll try not to hold that against you, Paul. (insert suspicious glower here) Last question: Where can my readers find out more about you and your work? Facebook, twitter, blog links, etc.?

Paul: My facebook author page is here...https://wwwfacebook.com/pages/My-Storytrees-Leaves/352745188170046. My twitter is @PaulFlewittJEA...I run both myself...so it is really me behind the pixels.

KG: Cool! Good luck with your writing and thank you for not only taking the time to take part in this interview, but also for putting up with my silly questions with that stiff upper lip mentality you wonderful Brits are known and loved for!

Paul: I've smiled through all of it...the clichés really don't count in my case. :) Thanks for having me, its been fun!


Indeed Paul. Indeed. (Insert monocle here)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Interview: Lauren Scharhag

Lauren Scharhag is the author of such books as Our Miss Engel , Order of the Four Sons series, La Tutayegua , Under Julia , and West Side Girl & Other Poems . She has won the Gerard Manley Hopkins award for poetry. Ms. Scharhag hails from Kansas City where she lives with her husband and three cats, but not a dog named Toto. Because that would just be silly. LAUREN: Yes, especially since I live in Missouri and not Kansas. KARMA GIRL: Before we start, I'm going to give you my usual Unusual Disclaimer: Silent tongue is filled With questions yet to be asked Interview begins Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Lauren.   LAUREN: Thanks for having me. KG: Tell us about yourself. You live in Missouri now, but according to your bio you grew up in Kansas City. What was it like growing up there and have you ever dropped a house on someone's sister? LAUREN: Actually, Kansas City is in Missouri as well as Kansas-- it's the older, original KC. I had a pre

Five Things You Didn't Know Could Happen During a Massage

Everyone likes a good massage. Well, almost everyone. There are some that cringe at the very idea of being naked in a room while a total stranger rubs them down. These people are either crazy or have never had a massage before and don't know what they're missing. There are also the ones that like massage a little too much and should feel free to do to themselves what they erroneously believe they are paying me to do to them. Also, read item number 3 of this blog article I wrote in November of 2012 and follow the instructions therein. But for those of you who are just looking for a nice, perfectly innocent, legal, and in no way rage inducing way to relax, massage is the way to go. That said, there are a few things you should be prepared for before getting that first massage. Things such as... 1. I CAN MAKE YOU FART LIKE A GODDAMN MACHINE GUN I once had a client come in for a deep tissue massage who must have eaten a very big, extremely gassy meal right before climbing ont

"Meet Our Therapist"...Doomtown Style!

My boss has been getting on me to make a bio for  Balance Spa's Facebook page for ages, and I've only just consented to do it. I had been putting it off mostly because doing so would require me to have a picture taken of myself. Having a picture taken of myself would require me to wear makeup. I could go without, but doing so would cause one of the seven seals to be opened therefore heralding the coming apocalypse. I hear a river in China recently turned to blood . I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't make any long term plans if I were you. For it has been foretold! The bio was written by one of our lovely and talented receptionists, Rayme. For those of you wondering why I hadn't written the thing myself, read a few of my posts. You might notice a pattern. I can't seem to write anything serious without becoming sarcastic or goofy. That's just the way I roll. But I couldn't help tweaking Rayme's version just a bit to fit