Skip to main content

Feature Interview: Shannon Kitchens-Stonicher

Shannon Kitchens-Stonicher
Shannon Kitchens-Stonicher is that fabulous mix of librarian, filmmaker, and part-time writer that makes me believe she just might be a superhero in her downtime...if there is such a thing for the Shannons of this world. Today, she joins us for an interview, and no, she will not be wearing a cape.

Karma Girl: Please state your name, place of residence, and occupation for the record. Be aware, we know who you are and where to find you.

Shannon: Shannon and part-time writer. Kitchens; Metairie, LA; librarian by day, filmmaker by night.

KG: You started a Kickstarter project in February of last year called The Adventures of Keith Flippen. Can you tell us a little bit about this project and how it got its start? Was the mafia involved? The space mafia, perhaps?


Shannon: The Adventures of Keith Flippen is the story of Keith, a space-age Didgeridoo player, who is caught right in the middle of the epic, apparently endless, struggle between noble Colonel Victory and the evil Queen Calamitious. Paying homage to classic Sci-Fi Serials such as Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, The Adv. of Keith Flippen is a modern sci-fi parody with a retro look and those delicious cliff-hanger endings. With eye-popping, on-a-tight-budget sets and innovative art direction, each episode is a little gem of hilarious, campy mayhem.

Keith Flippen started out as 48HFP (meaning, it was made from concept to finished product in 48 hours or less), where it won an almost embarrassing amount of awards, including the 2012 New Orleans Best Overall. But before we were a winner, the Sunday after filming, as we were reviewing the finish product on my couch, one of the cast looked at me and said, “When are we doing the next episode?”

As the 48HFP Keith Flippen toured the country, we got that same question over and over. So we decided to start a Kickstarter.

I’m pretty sure the Space Mafia had to be involved because I’m still baffled by the money we raised on Kickstarter.

KG: What plans do you have for Keith Flippen in the future?

Shannon: For right now, the immediate future of Keith Flippen is full of merch. We have tee-shirts and shot glasses and stickers and all sorts of fun stuff that will go towards the funding of Season 2, which will probably be in limbo until we can raise our view count dramatically or secure additional funding.

KG: What other projects are you working on?

Shannon: On the burner next is a new web series called Athyl the Mermaid. A vlog like show where Athyl, a trailer-trash, foul mouth, forty drinking merman who lives in a kiddy pool in the back yard, rates current events, pop culture, and all things life on how f**k-able it is.

This spring we’re thinking about shooting a 4 episode web series called “Drunken Sherlock” where a drunk Sherlock solves the wrong crime. This is very early in development.

I’m also working on a co-writing project with a friend across the country where we’re going to write the next Disney fairy tale movie (and blog about it on Writing the Magic).

KG: What’s up with MoralBot 3000? Is it really moral, or is it just programmed that way?


Shannon: Oh MoralBot! His circuiting isn’t quite right, but his heart is in the right place. He reveals the moral of each episode, as well as is an actual functioning robot (really, he is). Though, he may have been cross connected with the professor’s disastrous fortune cookie machine...

KG: How does one pay tribute to Space Buddha?

Shannon: Good question. I suspect by keeping calm and carrying on. Though, I’m following the word of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, so I haven’t kept up with the modern views regarding Space Buddha.

KG: Where can my readers find, follow, stalk you?

Shannon:

Feel free to follow Ms. Kitchens at Shannon on Writing, Rewriting, and Filmming, the blog she writes when not filmmaking or saving the city from evil doers. Keep us safe, Shannon, and may Space Buddha be with you always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things You Didn't Know Could Happen During a Massage

Everyone likes a good massage. Well, almost everyone. There are some that cringe at the very idea of being naked in a room while a total stranger rubs them down. These people are either crazy or have never had a massage before and don't know what they're missing. There are also the ones that like massage a little too much and should feel free to do to themselves what they erroneously believe they are paying me to do to them. Also, read item number 3 of this blog article I wrote in November of 2012 and follow the instructions therein. But for those of you who are just looking for a nice, perfectly innocent, legal, and in no way rage inducing way to relax, massage is the way to go. That said, there are a few things you should be prepared for before getting that first massage. Things such as... 1. I CAN MAKE YOU FART LIKE A GODDAMN MACHINE GUN I once had a client come in for a deep tissue massage who must have eaten a very big, extremely gassy meal right before climbing ont

Feature Interview: Lauren Scharhag

Lauren Scharhag is the author of such books as Our Miss Engel , Order of the Four Sons series, La Tutayegua , Under Julia , and West Side Girl & Other Poems . She has won the Gerard Manley Hopkins award for poetry. Ms. Scharhag hails from Kansas City where she lives with her husband and three cats, but not a dog named Toto. Because that would just be silly. LAUREN: Yes, especially since I live in Missouri and not Kansas. KARMA GIRL: Before we start, I'm going to give you my usual Unusual Disclaimer: Silent tongue is filled With questions yet to be asked Interview begins Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Lauren.   LAUREN: Thanks for having me. KG: Tell us about yourself. You live in Missouri now, but according to your bio you grew up in Kansas City. What was it like growing up there and have you ever dropped a house on someone's sister? LAUREN: Actually, Kansas City is in Missouri as well as Kansas-- it's the older, original KC. I had a pre

"Meet Our Therapist"...Doomtown Style!

My boss has been getting on me to make a bio for  Balance Spa's Facebook page for ages, and I've only just consented to do it. I had been putting it off mostly because doing so would require me to have a picture taken of myself. Having a picture taken of myself would require me to wear makeup. I could go without, but doing so would cause one of the seven seals to be opened therefore heralding the coming apocalypse. I hear a river in China recently turned to blood . I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't make any long term plans if I were you. For it has been foretold! The bio was written by one of our lovely and talented receptionists, Rayme. For those of you wondering why I hadn't written the thing myself, read a few of my posts. You might notice a pattern. I can't seem to write anything serious without becoming sarcastic or goofy. That's just the way I roll. But I couldn't help tweaking Rayme's version just a bit to fit