Skip to main content

Massage Time: What You Knead to Know to Become a Massage Therapist

Clients often ask me, "What did you have to do to become a massage therapist? You have to go to school for that kind of thing?" I, being the puckish lass that I am, usually reply with a long story somewhere on the level of the twelve labors of Hercules. Sometimes, ninjas are mentioned. After we've both had a good laugh, they'll ask again, "No, really. What did you have to do?" So I tell them, and they're usually surprised at the amount of schooling required to be licensed and certified. And that doesn't include what I have to do to keep same.

It's a time consuming and costly endeavor to become an MT. You have to know all the muscles in the body, where they're located, and what they do, but that's just the start. You also need to know when you can or cannot work on a client (contraindications). You need to take an ethics class, probably because most people equate massage with quotation marks around the word. As I've mentioned before, I don't do "massage". I do massage. Don't EVER get the two confused if you ever want to receive a massage from me.

Those are just a few of the things I had to learn in school, and that doesn't include my yearly continuing education classes (12 units every year). So, just in case you were wondering, here's a list of the classes I had to take for Delgado Community College's Massage Therapy Certification program. Remember this the next time you tip your therapist a mesely two bucks. You bastard:


Introduction to Therapeutic Massage

History and development of therapeutic massage. Includes medical terminology, ethics, hygiene, safety, body mechanics, SOAP notes, and Heart Saver CPR Certification.









Foundation for Swedish Techniques 

Full-body Swedish massage. Massages performed on student clients. Includes anatomy, draping, body mechanics, indications and contraindications, and development of care/ treatment plan.

Muscle/Skeletal Anatomy and Palpation Skills

Comprehensive study of skeletal and muscular systems. Focuses on recognition and palpation of bony landmarks and on origins, insertions, actions, and palpation of muscles.









Sports Massage

Concepts and practice of sports massage. Includes pertinent anatomy and physiology, tissue response to stimulation, and application of sports massage techniques. Emphasizes major stress points and contraindications.

Neuromuscular/Deep Tissue Therapy

Concepts and practice of neuromuscular/deep tissue therapy. Includes postural evaluation, tissue evaluation, and trigger point palpation; discusses nerve compression and entrapments, ischemia, and stages of rehabilitation.

Fundamentals of Traditional Chinese Medicine

Concepts and techniques of traditional Chinese medicine. Includes 12 meridians, yin and yang, chi energy, the five elements, shiatsu, and acupressure.










Pathology for Massage Therapy

Recognition of human diseases. Develops practical understanding of when bodywork is indicated. Includes infirmities to which bodywork should not be applied.










Business/Ethics/Law in Massage Therapy Practice

Basic information necessary for massage practice. Discusses self-employment, target clientele, management, professional ethics, and business structure. Communicates state law relating to the practice of massage.








Topics for Special Populations

Current issues in massage therapy. Topics include the abused client, infant and child massage, the physically and/or psychologically challenged client, reflexology, aromatherapy, healing touch, hydrotherapy, and the elderly client.

Massage Therapy Clinical I - III

Application of massage techniques on public clientele. Setting appointments, professional appearance, draping techniques, recordkeeping are included under instructor’s supervision.

Human Anatomy and Physiology I - II

Systemic survey of human body. Emphasizes structure, function, and chemical mechanisms.


Human Anatomy and Physiology Laboratory I - II

Hands-on experience in microscopy. Dissection required.

Comments

  1. Can I touch my massage therapist?
    What is never OK during a massage? If you are getting a massage for therapeutic or relaxing purposes, it is never acceptable for the therapist to touch the client's genitals. That area is strictly off limits. In most cases, a woman's breast tissue is also avoided during a massage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I touch my massage therapist?
    What is never OK during a massage? If you are getting a massage for therapeutic or relaxing purposes, it is never acceptable for the therapist to touch the client's genitals. That area is strictly off limits. In most cases, a woman's breast tissue is also avoided during a massage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post is very interesting. I have learned a lot here. Please do share.

    best massage in dallas
    luxury spa austin
    massage in austin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature Interview: Lauren Scharhag

Lauren Scharhag is the author of such books as Our Miss Engel , Order of the Four Sons series, La Tutayegua , Under Julia , and West Side Girl & Other Poems . She has won the Gerard Manley Hopkins award for poetry. Ms. Scharhag hails from Kansas City where she lives with her husband and three cats, but not a dog named Toto. Because that would just be silly. LAUREN: Yes, especially since I live in Missouri and not Kansas. KARMA GIRL: Before we start, I'm going to give you my usual Unusual Disclaimer: Silent tongue is filled With questions yet to be asked Interview begins Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Lauren.   LAUREN: Thanks for having me. KG: Tell us about yourself. You live in Missouri now, but according to your bio you grew up in Kansas City. What was it like growing up there and have you ever dropped a house on someone's sister? LAUREN: Actually, Kansas City is in Missouri as well as Kansas-- it's the older, original KC. I had a pre

Five Things You Didn't Know Could Happen During a Massage

Everyone likes a good massage. Well, almost everyone. There are some that cringe at the very idea of being naked in a room while a total stranger rubs them down. These people are either crazy or have never had a massage before and don't know what they're missing. There are also the ones that like massage a little too much and should feel free to do to themselves what they erroneously believe they are paying me to do to them. Also, read item number 3 of this blog article I wrote in November of 2012 and follow the instructions therein. But for those of you who are just looking for a nice, perfectly innocent, legal, and in no way rage inducing way to relax, massage is the way to go. That said, there are a few things you should be prepared for before getting that first massage. Things such as... 1. I CAN MAKE YOU FART LIKE A GODDAMN MACHINE GUN I once had a client come in for a deep tissue massage who must have eaten a very big, extremely gassy meal right before climbing ont

"Meet Our Therapist"...Doomtown Style!

My boss has been getting on me to make a bio for  Balance Spa's Facebook page for ages, and I've only just consented to do it. I had been putting it off mostly because doing so would require me to have a picture taken of myself. Having a picture taken of myself would require me to wear makeup. I could go without, but doing so would cause one of the seven seals to be opened therefore heralding the coming apocalypse. I hear a river in China recently turned to blood . I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't make any long term plans if I were you. For it has been foretold! The bio was written by one of our lovely and talented receptionists, Rayme. For those of you wondering why I hadn't written the thing myself, read a few of my posts. You might notice a pattern. I can't seem to write anything serious without becoming sarcastic or goofy. That's just the way I roll. But I couldn't help tweaking Rayme's version just a bit to fit