Skip to main content

Feature Interview: Larry L. Gegenheimer Jr., Professional Ass Kicker



Larry Gegenheimer Jr., 3rd Degree Black Belt
The Usual Unusual Disclaimer: The beatings will continue until moral improves.

Karma Girl: According to your Facebook profile, you are a martial arts instructor at Kuk Sool Won of Gretna. What is Kuk Sool Won, and where did you learn it? Bonus points if your answer is Shaolin monks!

Larry: Shaolin monks are Chinese. Kuk Sool is a Korean art.  I learned it in Terrytown (a far cry from Shaolin monasteries).  It is a traditional art that encompasses every martial art Korea has.  Our Grand Master put all that he learned into one system and called it Kuk Sool which means National Martial Art.  It is recognized as Korea's national martial art.

Karma Girl: Your Facebook profile also states your profession as Case Manager/Misdemeanor Probation Officer. I assume you deal with criminals, and if so, do your two jobs ever intermesh? Is there a 24th Judicial District Court fight montage floating around somewhere on YouTube?

Larry:  No.  I thought I may have needed it once or twice because someone was getting belligerent with one of the women I work with, but they calmed down and left.  We also have the Gretna Police in the building for security, so most people don't want to push the envelope with cops nearby.

Karma Girl: What was the hardest thing about learning Kuk Sool Won? Did it involve meditating under waterfalls and fighting bears?

Larry: The hardest thing was balancing on my titanium leg.  I had to go back to physical therapy for months to learn how to balance long enough to bring my other leg up, then step back down again.

Karma Girl: How did you lose the leg? Other than balance, how do you think it has affected your martial arts?

Larry: A car hit me on the sidewalk when I left from work.  I was waiting on the corner to cross the street when one car was trying to beat the light and the other was anticipating the change.  They collided and one ricocheted off and hit me. I can do most of the moves in the art but for the few things I can't do, I just modify it a bit and continue on with what I need to do. An example: one of the black belt forms has a cartwheel in it.  It's supposed to be done leading with the left hand because when you come out of the cartwheel your left leg should be in front. I can only do the cartwheel leading with my right hand, so I do it that way and take an extra step forward to get in the correct stance.

Karma Girl: How often do you fight ninjas?

Larry: Haven't come across any ninjas yet.

Karma Girl: What rank (belt) are you currently, and what will you have to do to get the next rank? Meditate with bears and fight waterfalls?

Larry: I'm a third degree black belt.  I was supposed to start testing for fourth already but I didn't have the testing fee.  The tests are a minimum of two hours, and there is a minimum of 8 tests.


This is the part of the interviewing process I like to call The Serious Three. It includes a series of three ineradicably striking, unbelievably staid questions. You are obligated to answer them as seriously as possible.

Larry: I'll do my best. 

Question #1: Please fill in the blanks:
Everybody was Kung Fu ___. Those kicks were fast as ___. In fact, it was a little bit ___. But they fought with expert ___.

Larry: Fighting, lightning, frightening, timing. Yes I know the words to the song.

Question #2: How would you go about snatching the pebble from Master Po’s hand?

Larry: Grab the pressure point in the forearm which would paralyze his arm for a second and then use that moment to snatch it.

Question #3: Where can worthy disciples go to learn the ways of Kuk Sool Won (Facebook page, twitter, address of that Kuk Sool Won monastery of awesomeness)?

Larry: 835 Gretna Blvd. in Gretna (of course).



Karma Girl: Thanks, Larry! And remember…BOOT TO THE HEAD!


Larry: Larry: I like to sweep the leg.  I use the titanium one to do that.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things You Didn't Know Could Happen During a Massage

Everyone likes a good massage. Well, almost everyone. There are some that cringe at the very idea of being naked in a room while a total stranger rubs them down. These people are either crazy or have never had a massage before and don't know what they're missing. There are also the ones that like massage a little too much and should feel free to do to themselves what they erroneously believe they are paying me to do to them. Also, read item number 3 of this blog article I wrote in November of 2012 and follow the instructions therein. But for those of you who are just looking for a nice, perfectly innocent, legal, and in no way rage inducing way to relax, massage is the way to go. That said, there are a few things you should be prepared for before getting that first massage. Things such as... 1. I CAN MAKE YOU FART LIKE A GODDAMN MACHINE GUN I once had a client come in for a deep tissue massage who must have eaten a very big, extremely gassy meal right before climbing ont

Feature Interview: Lauren Scharhag

Lauren Scharhag is the author of such books as Our Miss Engel , Order of the Four Sons series, La Tutayegua , Under Julia , and West Side Girl & Other Poems . She has won the Gerard Manley Hopkins award for poetry. Ms. Scharhag hails from Kansas City where she lives with her husband and three cats, but not a dog named Toto. Because that would just be silly. LAUREN: Yes, especially since I live in Missouri and not Kansas. KARMA GIRL: Before we start, I'm going to give you my usual Unusual Disclaimer: Silent tongue is filled With questions yet to be asked Interview begins Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Lauren.   LAUREN: Thanks for having me. KG: Tell us about yourself. You live in Missouri now, but according to your bio you grew up in Kansas City. What was it like growing up there and have you ever dropped a house on someone's sister? LAUREN: Actually, Kansas City is in Missouri as well as Kansas-- it's the older, original KC. I had a pre

"Meet Our Therapist"...Doomtown Style!

My boss has been getting on me to make a bio for  Balance Spa's Facebook page for ages, and I've only just consented to do it. I had been putting it off mostly because doing so would require me to have a picture taken of myself. Having a picture taken of myself would require me to wear makeup. I could go without, but doing so would cause one of the seven seals to be opened therefore heralding the coming apocalypse. I hear a river in China recently turned to blood . I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't make any long term plans if I were you. For it has been foretold! The bio was written by one of our lovely and talented receptionists, Rayme. For those of you wondering why I hadn't written the thing myself, read a few of my posts. You might notice a pattern. I can't seem to write anything serious without becoming sarcastic or goofy. That's just the way I roll. But I couldn't help tweaking Rayme's version just a bit to fit