Skip to main content

Massage Time: Cross-Contamination and Why I'm About to Hire Liam Neeson

I have recently become the queen of passive-aggressive notes at my workplace. I'm a massage therapist, as many of you know, and I work at various places in and around the Greater New Orleans area. On Sundays, I work at a spa in the CBD. I won't tell you which one because I don't want to scare off the clientele. This is ironic considering how often my boss gripes at me to post something for the company's Facebook page. I don't think she would approve of this tale of yuck, though. Also, she might frown upon the fact that I'm contemplating physical harm against one of her employees. I'm usually a live and let live type of gal, but I've reached the end of my rope, and it looks like there's a noose at the end of this one.

Handy.

So here's the situation. There are two rooms specifically set aside for massage, and both rooms are shared amongst a handful of massage therapists. The way it's supposed to work is you set up your room for the day and at the end of the day, you clean and restock for the next shift. I came into work this morning and started setting up my room. Everything seemed to be in order. Or, it did, until I looked in one of the cabinets to find one of the rubber mixing bowls had oil residue inside of it. It hadn't been cleaned, which led me to wonder just how many times it had been used before it was unceremoniously thrown into the cubby.

This was the fourth time I've found a dirty mixing bowl. I was forced to clean yet another mess I had not made. I was not pleased. I know who did it because this person has done this before, and she was working the night before. I won't name names just in case she reads this and whines that I'm picking on her, so I'll use a pseudonym. Let's call her...Lazy Asshole Who Thinks I'm Her Maid. Lazy for short. Lazy has left wet towels in the towel warmer over night. I and various other employees have warned her countless times that doing this attracts mold. She's forgotten to sweep and mop her room so many times, I've lost track of the number of oily foot prints I've mopped up. She's left hot stones sitting in dirty water.

This last one is the worst because instead of leaving the stone warmer on top of the cabinet for the next hapless therapist to find, she puts the entire thing back in the cabinet. And it sits there until it's used again. There are three hot stone warmers, and we can go weeks before a client books another one. Right about now you're thinking, "Ew!" But wait! I haven't told you the best part. She's done it at least three times in the past. Have you ever cleaned something with barbacide? That's what I had to do to get those damn things clean, and I cursed Lazy Asshole's name the entire time I did it.

You would think the stone thing would be the last straw, but it wasn't. For me, it was the trash lining. It seems trivial, but having to pluck out one snot covered Kleenex after another from a trash can with no bag really pushed me over the edge. I decided to make my irritation over the situation known. Since verbally telling her of my suffering at her hands hadn't worked in the past, this time I left her a little note:

Things are getting so bad, even the inanimate objects are complaining.

I put this up in both rooms, and miracle of miracles, it worked! The trash can lining has been changed every shift. This morning, I decided to push my luck. If one passive-aggressive note worked, why not another? So I left this:


For those of you who can't read scribble-scratch, here's a translation of the above text:

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for a maid, I can tell you I'm not one. But what I do have are a particular set of skills. Skills I have aquired over a long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you clean these bowls now (or after use), that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I WILL KILL you.

Liam Neeson, eat your heart out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things You Didn't Know Could Happen During a Massage

Everyone likes a good massage. Well, almost everyone. There are some that cringe at the very idea of being naked in a room while a total stranger rubs them down. These people are either crazy or have never had a massage before and don't know what they're missing. There are also the ones that like massage a little too much and should feel free to do to themselves what they erroneously believe they are paying me to do to them. Also, read item number 3 of this blog article I wrote in November of 2012 and follow the instructions therein. But for those of you who are just looking for a nice, perfectly innocent, legal, and in no way rage inducing way to relax, massage is the way to go. That said, there are a few things you should be prepared for before getting that first massage. Things such as... 1. I CAN MAKE YOU FART LIKE A GODDAMN MACHINE GUN I once had a client come in for a deep tissue massage who must have eaten a very big, extremely gassy meal right before climbing ont

Feature Interview: Lauren Scharhag

Lauren Scharhag is the author of such books as Our Miss Engel , Order of the Four Sons series, La Tutayegua , Under Julia , and West Side Girl & Other Poems . She has won the Gerard Manley Hopkins award for poetry. Ms. Scharhag hails from Kansas City where she lives with her husband and three cats, but not a dog named Toto. Because that would just be silly. LAUREN: Yes, especially since I live in Missouri and not Kansas. KARMA GIRL: Before we start, I'm going to give you my usual Unusual Disclaimer: Silent tongue is filled With questions yet to be asked Interview begins Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Lauren.   LAUREN: Thanks for having me. KG: Tell us about yourself. You live in Missouri now, but according to your bio you grew up in Kansas City. What was it like growing up there and have you ever dropped a house on someone's sister? LAUREN: Actually, Kansas City is in Missouri as well as Kansas-- it's the older, original KC. I had a pre

"Meet Our Therapist"...Doomtown Style!

My boss has been getting on me to make a bio for  Balance Spa's Facebook page for ages, and I've only just consented to do it. I had been putting it off mostly because doing so would require me to have a picture taken of myself. Having a picture taken of myself would require me to wear makeup. I could go without, but doing so would cause one of the seven seals to be opened therefore heralding the coming apocalypse. I hear a river in China recently turned to blood . I'm not saying I had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't make any long term plans if I were you. For it has been foretold! The bio was written by one of our lovely and talented receptionists, Rayme. For those of you wondering why I hadn't written the thing myself, read a few of my posts. You might notice a pattern. I can't seem to write anything serious without becoming sarcastic or goofy. That's just the way I roll. But I couldn't help tweaking Rayme's version just a bit to fit